Friday, June 27, 2008



I started a very small garden and planted some fruit trees this spring.  We are finally seeing some of the fruits of our labor.  It is slow but sure does taste good!  Carli loves to help water and pick the fruit and veggies.  She picked the apples a little soon but she ate it anyways.  What I can't grow in my garden I get from my local CSA farmer so we have had all kinds of new fruits and veggies this year.  I have had fun trying out new recipes.  Last week I had purple basil and watermelon so I typed the 2 in google and this salad came up.  I made it even though it seemed a little weird and it was soooo good I thought I would share it!  My kids even liked it.  And it is so easy.  So here it is...

1 c balled watermelon
1c balled motzrella cheese
handful of purple basil
4 cloves garlic
1c balsamic vinegar 
1c olive oil

Soak chopped up basil in vinegar and the garlic in olive oil while you ball melon and add melon balls and cheese to bed of baby greens the mix vinegar and oil w/ wisk and pure over salad!  ENJOY:)

4 comments:

Laura said...

I am not gardener but I always admire those that do. The food is just better!

Susan Anderson said...

I love Carli's "eat while watering" method. What's that she 's cramming into her mouth?

=)

Heather Anderson said...

She is eating an apple that really isn't ready from our trees.

Kristen said...

I wish I had a garden! That salad looks yummy, I love new recipes!