Easter started a little rough this year. Jeremiah was throwing up all night and not really feeling well in the morning. Matt stayed home with Jeremiah and Bryce so I could be at church to teach RS. So, it was only Carli and I that got in our Easter best and headed off to church. We had been very busy all week playing with lots of friends and having out of town guest in our home. As I arrived at church I was starting to feel a little unprepared for my lesson. I don't usually teach RS. Truth is I cannot remember the last time I was able to sit through an entire RS lesson (the joys of motherhood). I was a little nervous when I was asked to sub for Easter Sunday. The lesson was on JS in Liberty Jail. I really wanted to "tie" the lesson into Easter. I spent some time discussing ideas with my MIL and of course she gave me some great ones! As the lesson evolved it really became about us standing with Him and for Him just as He is with us. Right before I was to give the lesson as I sat through the practice hymn thoughts of Him standing with me passed through my mind. I realized that He had been helping me prepare for my lesson throughout the week. First, with the ideas and the poem my MIL gave me for the lesson. Then when my friend came in to town (with the help of my MIL again) I found the perfect quote in her Ensign (my hasn't come this month). Last night on my drive home from Mama Mia I had a great talk with my friend Sarah about the lesson. In the morning as I got dressed my daughter picked out a necklace my FIL gave me for xmas that says "love". When I got to church I had a strong impression to go ahead with part of the lesson I was not going to do... so my Mom offered to go back to my house and get my ipod. Then my Husband put the music on the ipod for me. As I stood in the hall with my ipod I still wasn't sure if I should do it... then my friend Amy passed me in the hall and encouraged me to go ahead with it. As these thoughts flooded my mind I touched the necklace around my neck and felt the love of my family. I realized that the Lord had been with me all week to prepare me for this lesson and he had used my wonderful friends and family to stand with me and give me the strength to deliver His message. After this flood of images passed through my mind I had a wave a peace and love fill my heart and I felt the love of my Savior for me and I realized that not only does He stand with me forever and ever... but He has blessed me with family and friends that also stand with me! The greatest gift I have been given this Easter was the opportunity to teach this lesson so the Lord could remind me of the love He has for me and that I have people around me who love Him and serve me because they love Him. And I have the chance to serve my family because I love Him. He really is the beginning and the end and as JS said, "God shall be with you forever and ever..."
Sunday, April 12, 2009
My Easter Gift
Easter started a little rough this year. Jeremiah was throwing up all night and not really feeling well in the morning. Matt stayed home with Jeremiah and Bryce so I could be at church to teach RS. So, it was only Carli and I that got in our Easter best and headed off to church. We had been very busy all week playing with lots of friends and having out of town guest in our home. As I arrived at church I was starting to feel a little unprepared for my lesson. I don't usually teach RS. Truth is I cannot remember the last time I was able to sit through an entire RS lesson (the joys of motherhood). I was a little nervous when I was asked to sub for Easter Sunday. The lesson was on JS in Liberty Jail. I really wanted to "tie" the lesson into Easter. I spent some time discussing ideas with my MIL and of course she gave me some great ones! As the lesson evolved it really became about us standing with Him and for Him just as He is with us. Right before I was to give the lesson as I sat through the practice hymn thoughts of Him standing with me passed through my mind. I realized that He had been helping me prepare for my lesson throughout the week. First, with the ideas and the poem my MIL gave me for the lesson. Then when my friend came in to town (with the help of my MIL again) I found the perfect quote in her Ensign (my hasn't come this month). Last night on my drive home from Mama Mia I had a great talk with my friend Sarah about the lesson. In the morning as I got dressed my daughter picked out a necklace my FIL gave me for xmas that says "love". When I got to church I had a strong impression to go ahead with part of the lesson I was not going to do... so my Mom offered to go back to my house and get my ipod. Then my Husband put the music on the ipod for me. As I stood in the hall with my ipod I still wasn't sure if I should do it... then my friend Amy passed me in the hall and encouraged me to go ahead with it. As these thoughts flooded my mind I touched the necklace around my neck and felt the love of my family. I realized that the Lord had been with me all week to prepare me for this lesson and he had used my wonderful friends and family to stand with me and give me the strength to deliver His message. After this flood of images passed through my mind I had a wave a peace and love fill my heart and I felt the love of my Savior for me and I realized that not only does He stand with me forever and ever... but He has blessed me with family and friends that also stand with me! The greatest gift I have been given this Easter was the opportunity to teach this lesson so the Lord could remind me of the love He has for me and that I have people around me who love Him and serve me because they love Him. And I have the chance to serve my family because I love Him. He really is the beginning and the end and as JS said, "God shall be with you forever and ever..."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Labels
- 2 year olds (1)
- beach house (10)
- Beach trip (2)
- Bryce (5)
- Bryce 6 months (1)
- Bryce and Carli (1)
- bubbles (1)
- Carli 2008 (3)
- child photographer (1)
- fall (2)
- fall 08 (1)
- family photographer (1)
- http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_yS9pMn3wa4Y/SjLLWHEZHCI/AAAAAAAABRc/bqkDeAwLsEc/s1600-h/IMG_6969.JPG (1)
- jeremiah (1)
- Jeremiah and Carli 2008 (1)
- seaworld 2008 (2)
- summer 08 (19)
- temecula ca (1)
- temecula photographer (1)
5 comments:
Heather,
Your lesson was great yesterday! Thank you for putting all the time and energy and thought into it. I know the feeling of having prepared but not feeling prepared when it's time to get up to teach..I know when I'm relying on the Lord though it all works out. I know it was good because when I got up to announce the closing song there were not a lot of dry eyes left:)
This is a beautiful post, Heather, that brought tears to my eyes. I'm glad you went ahead and did the WHOLE lesson as you had planned. And I'm not surprised to hear Christine say that there were not a lot of dry eyes left.
Thanks for sharing this.
Love you.
Mom =)
PS. Hope Jeremiah is feeling better and that the grape juice works!
Heather,
I really appreciate you so freely sharing your experiences and testimony. It inspires me and makes me like you all the more. Funny how now we live far apart I know we could be great great friends (we can be from far away too).
This was a very touching post. Glad you felt such a strong reminder on Easter. Good job:)
It was a fantastic lesson, one that will totally stay with me. Thank you!
Post a Comment