Friday, March 13, 2009

Pink Day

Today 800 of our teachers in the RUSD (20 of the 35 in our school) were issued pink slips.  It makes me sick to think of it!  I need to "vent" so I am warning you if you don't want to read about complaints then move away from this post... I am using this as my therapy...

 I am not sure how our school is going to survive this harsh lay off and I feel awful for these teachers.  Teachers are one of the most important "workers" in our community.  Our children spend 6.5 hours a day with them.  Our children are greatly influenced by these leaders in their lives (for bad and good).  After earning a Masters degree and completing student teaching and passing test then they are offered modest salaries to teach the young people of our country.  And we repay them by sending them out of our schools when times are tough.... what is wrong with CA?  Our values are definitely backwards if you ask me.  Teachers should be handpicked and paid top dollar to secure that we have only the brightest and best teaching our children and then they should be treated with respect and offered the tools and materials they need to create an optimal learning environment  for our children.  Instead, we throw them out when the money gets tight and leave our children to suffer.  Class sizes will be back up (maybe to 30 in Kinder).  To compensate for the large classes our school is discussing making Kinder full day so they are able to fit in all the academics with such a large class size.   I feel awful for our teachers and worse for our children I wish I could just pull my kids out and put them into private schools.  A place were testing is not the "end all" because it is connected to funding and where teachers jobs depend on parents paying tuition not the governments terms.   I am tired of the education (or lack there of) that children receive! Don't even get me started on the health care (that my daughter has not been able to receive for the past 2 years!).  My husband works in  a similar field as these teachers.  He completed a Masters degree and 3,000 internship hours and is now employed at the county.  The truth is at this moment I have to feel grateful and blessed because he has a job when others in the mental health field have been laid off just like the teachers.  People who spend their lives serving the community should be treated with more respect!

I actually have a really funny post of Bryce dancing and a cute post of Carli getting her toes done... I will post these as soon as I can pull myself out of this mood...

6 comments:

Susan Anderson said...

Wow, that's terrible, Heather. How can they lay off that many teachers. It's pretty outrageous, and I totally agree with you. The priorities are very messed up!

Anne Marie said...

You are so right. CA doesn't know what they are doing. I have never been impressed with Ca schools and wish that things were better. I hope everything in the end will get better. Ca is the only state that freaks out when things have the potential to get bad. Too many liberals!

NBlake said...

I hope they wont really end up laying off so many teachers, but I feel sorry for some of my friends who have been pink slipped and have to worry if their contracts will be renewed. Some are considering going to private schools, but teachers there make even less than they do in public schools, and so some can't afford to take private school jobs.

Hemphill Family said...

Are you serious? What the heck? They can't really lay off that many teachers can they?
You need to come here and put your kids in this new charter school I was telling you about. That would be nice to have you here.

Laura said...

WOW! That's terrible!

Costa Rica Baby! said...

That really is a BUMMER!!!